[mythtv-users] New Kernel

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Tue May 2 15:18:51 UTC 2006

Chris Moewes-Bystrom wrote:
> I feel so dirty ;) But this begs the question because in addition to a
> new kernel there was also updates to mythtv itself (mythtv-0.19-127)
> so do I follow the advice in the FAQ and leave things alone once they
> are working or do I try to keep some things (like mythtv) up to date.

In my experience (just a couple of years with MythTV), I'd keep
_reasonably_ up-to-date - depending on your comfort level and time you
have to spend. The particular issue is that mythtv and its various
components will slowly install new features, and use new features of
other components. More importantly, defects are fixed (and new ones
introduced!) as time goes on.  If you make note of what you are using
(ivtv, nvidia drivers, alsa etc.) then it's easier to update as time
goes on using the fancy package managers (yumex, kyum, smart package,
synaptic).

Heck, it's even easier today. For instance, kernel modules have made a
world of difference - before you had to build the nvidia drivers each
time for your kernel. Now, Axel has the kernel module already built for
the kernels he has in his repo.

It's certainly not without problems. Each time I upgrade there's always
something that I forget or something wrong somewhere. For instance, when
I upgraded from 18 to 19 a while back, my PVR250 didn't work. I found
out that I had to recreate my card (I think it was the tuner "name",
don't remember.) Because of this, I wait a while before I upgrade to the
newest/greatest. This allows me to gather the information from this
mailing list from the pioneers about potential problems I might have.
Then I upgrade.

Again, I think it depends on your experience, comfort level and the time
you have to spend (or want to spend) with mythtv.

brad