[mythtv-users] What Haupage PVR-x50 to get?

Wander Winkelhorst w.winkelhorst at gmail.com
Tue May 2 13:49:05 UTC 2006

> I'm thinking about getting a PVR 500 with 2 tuners.

I HAVE a PVR500 and it's very nice, I'd recommend it to anyone (allthough
there are a lot of variations of "PVR500") I wish I had another PCI slot so
I could add an extra tuner (2 just isn't enough sometimes)

- If I take an Haupage PVR-x50 card, and leave the SAA7134 card for what
it is, wich one should I get ?

Anyone of the PVR[1|2|5][0|5]0 cards will do very nicely, it's a matter of
personal prefferrence which version to get, some have radio's, some don't,
some have dual tuners, some don't, some have a remote included, some don't.

The only card I won't recommend is the PVR350, driver support is tricky with
that one.

> and do the MCE versions work correctly with linux ?
Yes they do, it's just a marketing label that Hauppage slapped onto their
products (and the packaging is a bit different) But in basis, the video
hardware is the same.

BTW: I'm intrested in how the DVB-S cards work in Linux and the Netherlands,
because I understand that you need a CAM module? Are there any PCI cards
that support those?

Regards,
Wander (yes, also from the Netherlands)