[mythtv-users] How do I: Exact copy of one Xbox FE to another Xbox?

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Tue May 2 11:58:01 UTC 2006

On 5/2/06, David Whyte <david.whyte at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/2/06, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:
> > No, the hard drive I believe needs to be locked for the xbox to recognize.
> > So, locked it works in one unlocked it works in the other... If I remember
> > correctly.
> >

> Hmmm, I think I need to do some more reading.  Thanks for the headsup guys.

I did a little more reading and I am not really certain as to whether
I am any wiser, but I think because I am keeping the disk in the same
Xbox each was always in, I will have no problems.

I have given up on the g4u option, for a number of reasons:
1) The disk sizes are slightly different, so I could hit a world of
pain when I grab the good one down onto the not-quite-so-good one.
2) I have no USB keyboard, which would be needed to plug into my Xbox
and to the g4u!
3) The g4u disk doesn't handle the Xbox hardware too well.  I think it
is because of the Xbox being a video out device, but I couldn't see
anything on my TV when I booted into the disk.

I am back with my recursive scp option.  I will do a fully clean
install of Xebian on the currently bad Xbox and then copy the contents
[scp -r path/to/file user at destination.tld:path/to/file (where
path/to/file will be '/' for each)] from the good one to the bad one.
Do a reboot, change the host name and voila, hey presto, a good
Xbox!!!  At least in theory.

It won't be for a couple of days, but please, wish me luck!  If you
see any serious flaws in my plan, let me know.

Regards,
Whytey