[mythtv-users] Controlling Input Used for Recordings

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Mon May 1 22:24:31 UTC 2006

I'm working on setting up a MythTV system.  Currently I am using three
inputs as follows:  First, I have a direct cable line going into the
RF input of a PVR-150.  Second, I have a Comcast Digital Cable box
hooked up to the PVR-150 via the component inputs.  (Note: I only want
to use this input to record encrypted stations that I have no other
way of tuning.)  Lastly, I have another direct cable line going into
an HD-3000 card.  Up until a few days ago I had no overlapping
channels with these three inputs.  However, over the weekend, with the
help of the list, I was able to tune several QAM256 SD channels on the
HD-3000 card.  Now I have these same channels available both on the
analog input and on the HD-3000 card.  I have MythTV setup so that
these channels show up separately in the Guide.  Last night I setup a
recording by going into the Programming Guide and choosing a digital
channel.  However, the recording was actually done using the
corresponding analog channel.

So, my question is can I force MythTV to use a particular input for a
recording?  I know that you can assign priorities to inputs and/or
channels.  But I'm not sure this is what I am looking for.  Depending
on the program I am recording I may decide it's better to use one
input versus the other.