[mythtv-users] Custom aspect ratios for myth frontend? For recording?

Bo Parker fbp.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon May 1 16:44:30 UTC 2006

Greetings

I'm running the myth frontend on a Mac dual 2 GHz G5 tower. I'm
using a Sharp LCD TV (16:9) hooked to the second output of my
video card.

I know I can use the W key during playback to control the aspect
ratio, but I was wondering if it is possible to give the W key
more "choices", as it were. 4:3 content looks OK but has big
black bars on either side. The only other real choices with the W
key other than that are to stretch the 4:3 image to fill the 16:9
screen or to crop/zoom the 4:3 image to fill the 16:9 screen. The
first produces a distorted image that I don't care much for, and
the second cuts off too much at the top and bottom: scores,
crawls, etc., get cut about halfway off and so are unreadable.

What I can do when watching 4:3 content with the videolan.org VLC
player is to size and position the window in such a way that I
cut off some of the content at the top and bottom so that the
scores and crawls are right at the top and bottom of the screen
and the size of the black bars at the sides is minimized. This is
the best compromise I've found so far and looks great IMHO.

Is there any way to add or access a custom aspect ratio mode like
this in mythfrontend?

Failing that, is there a way to make it so that 4:3 shows are
recorded in such an aspect ratio setting? I'm using a Hauppauge
PVR-150MCE capture card.

Thanks!

search key: vucioxpcuyx

-Bo Parker