[mythtv-users] nVidia FX5200 - reccomendations please

James Kaufman jmk at kaufman.eden-prairie.mn.us
Mon May 1 15:43:26 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 03:10:12AM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Apr 20, 2006, at 3:03 AM, mythtv-users at spam.dragonhold.org wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 02:41:08AM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> >> I have tried cards from a 5200 to a 6800 and have not noticed any
> >> difference, with the VGA output feeding a 32" LCD, and I don't use
> >> XvMC.
> > There is a world of difference between the VGA output and the TV
> > output.  Friends of mine
> > using a PC under a 36" widescreen TV ended up ditching their nVidia
> > card and going back to a
> > Matrox one because the TV out of the nVidia card was so bad.
> >
> > Admittedly that was about 5 years ago, so I'd hope things have
> > improved a lot - but it's
> > something to be aware of.
> >
> > I'm certainly waiting until we get our new HDTV (delivered this
> > evening *YAY*) before I go
> > back to using my mythTV box, simply because the quality of the PAL
> > output is too bad for the
> > menus... It's fine for watching programs, but the menus have
> > flickering edges to all the
> > sharp lines.
> >

> No argument here. I was using the S-Video output and it was so
> (relatively) crappy I changed my entire living room furniture
> arrangement so I could connect using VGA. Haven't tried DVI yet as my
> satellite receiver direct output is using that for HD, my Myth system
> is strictly SD at this time.
>
> I had assumed that video cards all had pretty much the same quality
> NTSC/PAL outputs, because it seems like an afterthought to the card
> makers. If some card on the market has markedly better TV output by
> all means it should be used if you're going that route, and the fact
> should be made well-known to the Myth community.

What is '(relatively) crappy'? I've noticed on my old Analog 27" NTSC
TV that the TV out from my FX-5200 is darker than live TV is. LIve TV
looks brighter, more vibrant. The FX-5200 looks washed-out and dingy.
(And yes, I did try tweaking MythTV's controls to adjust brightness,
contrast, etc.)

--
Jim Kaufman
Linux Evangelist