[mythtv-users] Creating dual Intel 830 backend... some software questions

genestapp at charter.net genestapp at charter.net
Mon May 1 08:51:24 UTC 2006

I'm getting ready to start loading software on my new backend. I got a great deal on a dual intel 830 chip ($140) and I bough this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131589R
Anyone have any experience first off with these two hardware items and your thoughts on this? I was going to go amd opteron 165, but the total cost of motherboard and processor here was the same as just the amd processor. Hopefully i won't regret going dual core intel as I know they have some cache issues and run hot. the box will be water cooled and I've even made water cooling for the drives (I have a cnc machine made my own water brackets, etc) so it won't be loud.

before I start with the software questions, one hardware one. I have a 36GB u320 fujitsu 10,000rpm drive. Would this be helpful as the main drive in the system for the mysql and other reads, or is this overkill?

Now my questions are:
1.Should I install FC5 or stick with FC4? Also for this 830 intel chipset I assume I should use the 64 bit smp install?
2. I'm going to totally kill my 8 300GB disk sata2 raid 5 array and migrate it (I can backup most of what I want). My question is, is there any other disk managment software other than EVMS that can do online capacity expansion?
3. Does myth support "bonding" or link aggregation of gigabit ethernet? I'm going to be using the raid5 drive for more than just myth so the dual gigabit bonded to one mac would be nice. My giga switch supports it I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a problem with Myth's system
4. How many processes can the dual core handle at the same tmie if I'm doing max of 3 hd recordings and 2 sd recordings while watching recorded HDTV? 1 at medium, two at low, or two at medium? I can easily overclock the processor if needed. i've read where this processor can hit 4 ghz with little effort
5.For just sheer processor deinterlacing, what options should be set? kernel? or can I use bob if I have a 5200 with xvmc off? I'm trying to stay as far away from xvmc as possible due to the constant prebuffer problems and random crashes I was experiencing before.

Thanks, your input is greatly appreciated.