[mythtv-users] Tv_grab_au --god help me.

Chris Henderson jchendo at gmail.com
Mon May 1 04:40:58 UTC 2006

Hi again,

Will do.

THanks

Glad you like it! BTW - one thing you may not be aware of is that in
> order to use the OzTiVo guide data you have to create a free account
> on their site 1st. Just letting you know in case that crops up down
> the track.

Yea i saw that, i went to the .org site and could not figure out how to
register!!!
leave that for another time.

> I have a shell script in /etc/cron.daily. Scripts in this directory
> run once/day at no fixed time. This is better than a cron job running
> at a fixed time because if the machine is off when a fixed time cron
> job is supposed to run then the job won't run until the next time it's
> scheduled which will probably be the next day and the machine may be
> down again at that time and so on. Scripts in /etc/cron.daily will run
> once/day whenever the machine comes up. I think you may have to
> install the "anacron" package for this to work.
>
> My script looks like this:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> # Run tv_grab_au to get TV listings. This could be a symlink except I need
> # to redirect output to /dev/null so I don't get emails from cron.
>
> /usr/local/bin/tv_grab_au.sh 1>/dev/null 2>&1

THat does make a lots sence, i will do that when i get home.

Have another question for you.

You have setup some varialbles at the top of the shell script for each type
of grabbers. I was wondering if you can set some more/different ones for sed
comands etc like,

City
Format
and so on.
I am guessing that this would make it easier to mod the script for your
state and it could then be indroduced into the package with the DVB OWNER's
check as default. (and that should take some load off the tv station
servers, and then might not change it as much).

And the final one, although i doubt this will happen.
To make the file go to the next option, say from dvb owners to D1 when it
errors. This is going to make the script a bit complex and i am not sure of
the need. Just a thought.

Actually i would like to tackle the top one myself, if you tell me it can be
done.

thanks for helping out us noob's

CH