[mythtv-users] zap2it and qam

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 02:54:37 UTC 2006

--- "R. G. Newbury" <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> Harley Peters wrote:
> > Ernie Lim wrote:
> >> Using PeterW’s fine qamscan script I was able to
> get a decent
> >> channels.conf file loaded into myth. My mplex
> tables and channel tables
> >> both appear to be populated correctly with the
> new channels. The problem
> >> I’m having is that mythfilldatabase wont populate
> the the guide data for
> >> the new channels no matter how I try. I have made
> sure that the channel
> >> names match what zap2it refers to them as but
> other than that, I don’t
> >> know what else could be wrong. All of my other
> dvb-s and cable sources
> >> are pulled and populated fine, just not the new
> qam source. Anyone have
> >> any ideas where I could look for issues?
> >>

> >> BTW, Im on rogers cable in southern Ontario --
> Does anyone have an
> >> accurate channels.conf file that I can compare
> with?
> >>

> > Someone might have a better idea but if all else
> fails you can do what i
> >
> > did.
> > With your web browser go to the labs.zap2it.com
> site and then go to the
> > page that list your qam channels. Then view the
> source of that page. You
> > should see some where in the source lines that
> look like the one below.
> >
> > <LABEL FOR="000001563200000000400"><TD>4</TD>
> >
> > The corponding station letters should be in a line
> below that.
> >
> > Use the label number minus the leading zeros and
> only the next 5 digits.
> > You can then enter these in manually in
> mythtv-setup.
> >
> > Harley
>
> At the moment something is seriously wrong with the
> DataDirect feed, at
> least for Rogers Digital channels. No matter what I
> do, I either get 506
> channels or 1 channel in my digital lineup when
> mythfilldatabase runs. I
> can modify the lineup but it does not 'stick'. The
> plain analog-only
> channels is unaffected. The digital one is messed
> badly.
>
> I have now realized that if I delete channels in
> mythtv-setup's channel
> editor then mythfilldatabase does not download that
> information. But at
> the moment that is still 305 channels and.... it
> takes a while...
>
> Anyone have any ideas what is happening?
>
> Geoff

I've seen this running SVN for ATSC listings from
DataDirect (ATSC in Fremont, California).  However,
I've only seen this when trying to populate the
channel list while running mythtv-setup (I can't say
that it doesn't happen elsewhere - I haven't really
had a system running for any great duration of time.)

I'm not really sure why it happens, but I noticed that
it started happening after SVN revision 9626 where
mythfilldatabase will no longer insert DVB/ATSC/QAM
channels if the channel number isn't already in the
database.

Also, as a (probably unintended) consequence of this
change, if you forget to scan for ATSC channels (using
the scanner in mythtv-setup), then after running
mythfilldatabase, all channels in the DataDirect
lineup are enabled (including analog), and you have to
go into labs.zap2it.com and prune your channel list
again.

Through trial and error, and many MySQL commands to
drop channel tables, I think I've finally got the
process down.  :)  I haven't yet decided to see if I
can code a fix for any of this, since I'm not really
sure what the intended behaviours on the part of
mythtv-setup, mythfilldatabase, and the user are.

-- Joe