[mythtv-users] Fast Forward locks up my MythBox

mikerice1969 at comcast.net mikerice1969 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 31 20:52:42 UTC 2006

I've set up a MythBox and everything is working nicely except one very troubling problem:  When I use FFWD my box will lock up requiring a reboot.  Normal play works fine.

Hardware: Dell with Celeron 2.5Ghz/256Mb, PVR-350 using TV-Out.
Linux: Fedora Core 4 (2.6.15*1833 kernel), ivtv 0.4.3
Myth: Recent 0.19 build from fixes branch

I am a long time Tivo user and I expect (well my wife and kids expect it anyway) that FFWD with sticky keys will behave somewhat like Tivo FFWD.  Hit once get 3x, hit again faster, etc.  Tivo has three "speeds" all of which you can see video moving along.

On my Mythbox at 3x I see video moving but anything higher produces a still frame (but the OSD moves along as expected).  Is this normal for Myth or should I be seeing moving video at all fast forward speeds?

I've just begun to debug this by carefully going over the IVTV howto/trouble shooting to make sure I have everything in place.  But if anyone could offer ideas on the following I'd appreciate it:

1) If anyone has seen this before and fixed it obviously that would be great.
2) Ideas on how to start debugging this.
3) Ideas (or source patch) on how to turn off FFWD so my wife and kids stop crashing the box while I am at work... :)

Thanks.