[mythtv-users] PCChips Geode MoBo?

Warren warren-lists at icruise.com
Wed Mar 29 18:21:21 UTC 2006

Francesco Peeters wrote:
> Francesco Peeters schreef:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does anybody have any experience with the 'new' PCChips M863G Geode3600+
>> (Athlon2800+ 'mobile') (v7.1) MoBo?
>>
>> It looks nice enough for a frontend, although it doesn't have S-Video or
>> composite output (Which isn't too much of an issue for PAL TV's with
>> SCART), but will it bear the brunt of an added backend?
>>
>> My main concerns are an apparent lack of S/PDIF (though I may have
>> overlooked it <G>) and audio performance as well as how it performs for
>> video-playback.
>> (I am planning - for starters - to have a PVR-150 in there and run both
>> frontend and backend on it. I hope to add separate backends in the
>> future, and maybe drop the tunercard in this one, although I like the
>> idea of it being able to work standalone if needed)
>>
>> TIA!
>>

> Ok, in view of the replies, what miniITX board (not necessarily with
> on-board processor, though it is easier,and usually cheaper),
> preferrably with s-video out, would the on-list guru's advise for above
> setup instead?
>
> I am on a relatively tight budget, so $ 400+ nanoITX boards are out of
> my league!  ;-)
>
> Cheers!

I have had no problems running mythtv with a PVRx50 card on both an
EPIA-M10000 (
http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/cPath/78_76/products_id/32 )
and an EPIA-SP8000 (
http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/cPath/78_76/products_id/306
).  The M10000 is far cheaper (almost 30%) but will not do
hardware-accelerated MPEG4.  The SP8000 will do MPEG4 (when the drivers
support it) and is fanless.

I am hoping to get my hands on an EPIA-EN board board from the epiOS
guys soon, but I have to talk them into it first :)

I am not endorsing the site whose URLs I posted, they were just handy
and have the specs readily available.