[mythtv-users] PCChips Geode MoBo?

Osma Ahvenlampi oa at iki.fi
Wed Mar 29 14:56:51 UTC 2006

On ke, 2006-03-29 at 13:01 +0200, Francesco Peeters wrote:
> Does anybody have any experience with the 'new' PCChips M863G
> Geode3600+ (Athlon2800+ 'mobile') (v7.1) MoBo?

The SiS 741GX on-board graphics on this (unless I'm mistaken about the
model) aren't necessarily that great for multimedia purposes. The analog
image quality is usually criticised in reviews, 3D performance is
abysmal (not that MythTV really uses that for anything - although you
might want to have some simple OpenGL effects in the photo album), and
the video acceleration support is poor compared to NForce2.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/chipsets/display/int-chipsets-roundup_12.html

In fact, since NForce2 has been discontinued in favor of Athlon64
chipsets, the options for that CPU don't look that good any more.
However, I would not recommend anything else for an Athlon XP platform.
Mine, an ASUS A7N8X-VM is unfortunately exhibiting instability problems,
but as long as it did work, it was a very good experience. Been looking
for a replacement for a while, but few are available at this point.

For Athlon 64, the best options seems to be RADEON Xpress 200 based MBs,
and for Intel, either that or one based on the Intel 945/950 chipset.
That is, if you are interested in using the integrated graphics. If not,
disregard the entire message.

--
Osma Ahvenlampi   <oa at iki.fi>    http://www.fishpool.org