[mythtv-users] MPEG2 -> MPEG2 Transcoding

mikepolniak mikpolniak at adelphia.net
Wed Mar 29 12:48:32 UTC 2006

On 13:28 Tue 28 Mar     , Mark A. Hoover wrote:
> > Kevin,  just curious, after you have used the lossless MPEG2->MPEG2
> > transcoding are you then doing anything else to the files that require
> > them to be de-multiplexed like burning them to DVD?
>
> Paul,
>
> Are you trying to say DVD burning the resulting stream might be a problem?
> I do have one recording that I haven't stripped yet that I'm planning to
> burn to DVD.

I have used the lossless MPEG2 transcoding with nuvexport. nuvexport
runs mythtranscode with honor cutlist and ffmpeg to create the DVD compliant
file for burning. Some of these burned DVD's had bad audio-video sync.

So i tried ProjectX instead of nuvexport and ProjectX seems to keep the
a-v sync. But then some of the lossless MPEG2 files that ran thru  ProjectX
produced truncated audio files (which some claim is due to noisey
signal). Although i think in my case it has something to do with the
cutting of commercials.

When ProjectX->mplex->dvdauthor did work it was in sync and lossless at
least to my eyes and ears. So after burning about a dozen DVD's i don't have
a 100% solution yet.