[mythtv-users] Trouble getting KNC1 DVB-S DVB adapter and CanalDigitaal CAM working

Jelte Veldstra jelte.veldstra at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 06:54:05 UTC 2006

After using MythTV with a PVR-350 for some time I wanted to add DVB-S as a
second tuner. I bought a KNC1 DVB-S adapter with it's CI module. Living in
the Netherlands and wanting to watch Dutch channels I also bought a
CanalDigitaal MediaGuard CAM and smartcard with subscription. This setup
allows me to watch encrypted Dutch channels on the Astra 19.2E satellite. I
have tested this config under Windows XP and it works well. However the
original goal is expanding my MythTV setup with DVB-S but so far with
limited success.
Initially I could not tune with this DVB adapter at all under Linux. The
tuner was until recently not supported. I got it to tune with kernel 2.6.16.
This kernel recognises the card and allows me to scan with scandvb and tune
with szap.
The MythTV configuration tool (mythtv-setup) recognises the card when I add
it to the tuner list. After importing some channels (as obtained with
scandvb) I try to watch it in LiveTV. This is where I have issues.

There are two observations. When I set the tuner to be opened on demand (in
mythtv-setup), then I get a lock on all channels, but no picture. In dmesg I
get these messages:

budget-av: cam inserted
dvb_ca adapter 0: DVB CAM detected and initialised successfully

but in the backend log I see:

2006-03-28 18:46:00.256 TVRec(3): Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
2006-03-28 18:46:00.264 DVB#0 Using DVB card 0, with frontend 'ST STV0299
2006-03-28 18:46:00.734 DVB#0 CA Error: Failed to initialize CI handler

When I disable the "open DVB adapter on demand" feature I see this message
in the backend log:

CAM: CANALDIGITAAL, 01, 0100, 0000

But when I go into LiveTV and try to watch any of the channels, I don't get
a lock and the BE counter (whatever that is) goes up rather quickly.

I'm somewhat stuck now. The dmesg messages seem contradicting to what I see
in the backend log. I have tried non-encrypted channels too, but they don't
seem to work either. I don't know where CAM operations are handled by MythTV
and where MythTV leaves it to the driver so maybe it's more a Linuxtv issue
then a MythTV one. As the dmesg messages seem more consistent then the
MythTV ones I suspect it might be a MythTV issue.

I'm using a SVN checkout of 28-03-2006 (r9520).
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/attachments/20060329/8d15340d/attachment.htm 

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list