[mythtv-users] many questions from a MythTV newbie

Daniel Jarboe daniel.jarboe at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 04:28:16 UTC 2006

First time posting to this list.  I've recently been looking at
requirements for a new MythTV box for HD.  I currently tune HD with a
cable converter, but may be switching to ATSC soon.  My TV lacks a
builtin HD tuner.  After the various cookbooks/guides/howtos/FAQs, I
still have several questions before I start plunking down $ for
hardware.

What I'm shooting for is live TV (HD) capability while capturing
another HD signal (with lossless transcoding to remove commercials if
feasible).

Video Card:

Video card will be connecting to DVI-D input of an LCD TV, so I think
I'm looking at GeForce FX 5200 or similar.

Frontend/backend:

I'm leaning toward frontend/backend setup to keep drive/fan noise in
living room at a minimum.

Any idea approximately what kind of network thruput would be required?
 The back of the envelope type network calculations in the MythTV
Howto looked to be for non-HD.  The captured files would be shared
over NFS unless there is some other recommendation.