[mythtv-users] Watch TV - Then nothing

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 27 22:00:32 UTC 2006

On 03/27/2006 07:52 AM, Brian Wood wrote:

>I don't know anything about your X setup, but I see you're running
>1280x1024. While I think this should work you might try 1024x768,
>you're going to have to drop to that anyway when you move to TV out
>as the NTSC encoder in the nVidia card won't support anything greater.

Yes!  Either change to 1024x768 or 1280x960, assuming you have a 4:3
monitor or TV connected.  1280x1024 is 5:4 aspect ratio, so using that
on a 4:3 display with 100x100dpi (which you need for Myth) will give you
distorted images with black bars.

If you have a wide-screen the same rule applies:  make sure you choose a
resolution whose ratio is equal to the ratio of the physical screen
dimensions.

Mike

# DisplaySize width height
# Make sure you choose an aspect ratio that matches
# your display's aspect ratio.
# For 1920x1080 at 100dpi  (16:9)
#       DisplaySize  487 274
# For 1280x720 at 100dpi  (16:9)