[mythtv-users] Reset Transcoder Defaults

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 27 20:30:36 UTC 2006

On 03/26/2006 03:27 PM, Noel Murphy wrote:

>I have a bunch of shows that I want to transcode. I'll be going from
>MPEG2 to MPEG4. The settings I currently have seem to take a 1/2 show
>down to 130MB roughly and it looks like utter crap (which is
>understandable). However, when I go to change the settings, the hint
>at the bottom of the screen says "Changing this from the defaults is
>not recommended, or something like that).

You probably want to change the bitrate.  Also note the settings that
scale bitrate based on resolution, which may be affecting your results.

With the default 2200kbps, you should end up with about 1GiB/hr (if
you're scaling bitrate, 1GiB/hr at 640x480, a little more for 720x480,
and a little less for 480x480).

Mike