[mythtv-users] Problems setting up input connections on Hauppauge PVR-150

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Mar 27 18:51:38 UTC 2006

Kichigai Mentat wrote:

>> I have a hauppauge PVR-150 card that is working correctly at /dev/
>> video0
>>
>> cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg shows that the card is working and I can
>> view TV that way, but so far I haven't managed to get mythtv set up
>> correctly.
>>
>> In mythtv-setup I am sure that the 1. General and 2. Capture Card
>> sections are set up correctly. I am pretty sure that 3. Video Sources
>> is OK as well.

In this section you set your channel lineups. Think of this as a pool of
  available channels distinguished by some characteristic from the other
pools: generally this means analog versus digital. If you have
bog-standard cable, then most of your channels will be analog cable.

>> What I am really unsure about is section 4. Input Connections
>>
>> I that section there are 5 listins:
>>
>> [MPEG: /dev/video0 ] (Tuner) -> (None)
>> [MPEG: /dev/video0 ] (Composite 0) -> (None)
>> [MPEG: /dev/video0 ] (Composite 1) -> (None)
>> [MPEG: /dev/video0 ] (S-Video 0) -> (None)
>> [MPEG: /dev/video0 ] (S-Video 1) -> (None)

>> I don't understand which one I am supposed to use. The TV is connected
>> by a normal coaxial cable, not an antenna or S-Video.

The coaxial cable inputs through the Tuner. If you were using a set top
box you might use the S-video input.

Your hardware is a 'source' for one of your channel lineups. If you had
4 PVR500's in the computer, they would all be associated with the same
analog channel lineup (if they were fed from the same source). Myth
'knows' your channels, and then, through this association, knows that it
can choose your PVR150, and tune it, to get that channel.(Or choose any
of the available 8 tuners in the 4 PVR500's to get that channel).

And yes, the wording is a bit obscure. An example would be helpful.

>> Card 0 (type ) is set to start on channel 2, which does not exist.
>> (repeated 5 times)
>>
>> BUT, I have it set with "Starting Channel: 3". moreover channel 2
>> DOES exist.
>
> Did you download your channel lineup first? That might be causing
> some confusion with the back-end.

If you do not have a proper card--channel lineup association, then no
wonder there is an error. The 'DOES NOT EXIST' is because myth has just
tried to tune to that channel... and if you have not _properly_ told it
what hardware to use, it will fail.

 >> Can one of you other users help me out and tell me how to correctly
set up
>> the input connections

Been a while since I did this....
On Input Connectioms, then select /dev/video0 and TUNER and your analog
lineup.

If you had a PVR500, you would add /dev/video1 and TUNER and your analog
lineup

If you had an HD3000 you would select /dev/dvb/adapter0, TUNER and your
digital channel lineup as only the HD3000 can receive/tune those channels.

If you had a setup box being tuned with an ir-blaster and fed into the
S-video intput, then you would select /dev/video0, S-video and analog
channel lineup *as that is what the input will be: analog cable*, even
though the tuner will always be set to '3' for this type of input.

Geoff

--
        R. Geoffrey Newbury
      Barrister and Solicitor