[mythtv-users] Viewing recordings on Windows

Niels Dybdahl Niels at Dybdahl.dk
Mon Mar 27 09:26:38 UTC 2006

On 3/27/06, jmyers at huskywatch.com <jmyers at huskywatch.com> wrote:

> Phill,
>         I have tried DSMyth, and it doesn't seem to work... I can stream
> the shows, but I only get one channel that has both picture and sound....
> Half have picture only and complain about no codec (I presume for the audio)
> and the other half have no picture or sound.....
>
> I might look at the other one you suggested though....

DSMyth is easier to get to work than MythStreamTV (note that
MythStream/MythTVStream is not the same as MythStreamTV).
MPEG2 recordings can be played immediately via a samba share on a Windows
PC. Of course it requires a MPEG2 codec which is not part of Windows.
MPEG4 recordings can be played via a samba share if you install DSMyth (for
the container) and a MPEG4 codec. DSMyth can also make recording titles
appear in Windows Explorer.
RTJPEG recordings can not be played.
If you record in a different aspect ratio than 1:1, then I can recommend
using ZoomPlayer on Windows, as it can remember the desired ratio from
session to session.
I have not found an easy way to start play of recordings from MythWeb. It
always tries to download the whole recording first, so I start the shows
from Windows Explorer.
MythStreamTV should work via MythWeb, but I have not yet been able of making
it work (probably the compiler on FC3 is too old).

Niels Dybdahl