[mythtv-users] No Sound In mplayer

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Mon Mar 27 04:10:47 UTC 2006

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 21:01:03 -0600
Kichigai Mentat wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2006, at 18.03, Brian Sutcliff wrote:
>
> > I do not get sound when I use mplayer. This happens both under the
> > covers in mythtv and running gmplayer stand alone.
>
> Then this is a MPlayer problem, and not a MythTV problem. Wrong
> mailing list.

Thats a bit harsh, mplayer is the default video player in mythtv and if
it doesn't work this is not an unreasonable place to start. Just because
you and i are on both lists it doesn't mean the OP wants to join yet
another mailing list :-)

> > The sound works when I watch live TV or a recording.
> >
> > I have the sound in mythtv set as:
> >
> > /dev/dsp1
> > enabel AC3 to SPDIF
> > Use internal volume control
> >

> > In the mplayer.conf files i have tried (None of them work) the
> > following. I got this list from doing mplayer -ao help
> >

> > Available audio output drivers:
> >         mpegpes DVB audio output
> >         oss     OSS/ioctl audio output
> >         alsa    ALSA-0.9.x-1.x audio output
> >         null    Null audio output
> >         pcm     RAW PCM/WAVE file writer audio output
> >
> > I am using Fedora 4.
> > 2.6.15-1.1833_FC4

try mplayer from the command line with various values of -ao, like

mplayer -ao alsa /file/to/play.avi
mplayer -ao oss /file/to/play.avi

Also carefully observe the output of mplayer, which appears on the
command line. there is a lot to read, but thats because the info you
need is probably there!

--
Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz>