[mythtv-users] HDTV reception via Cable

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Mon Mar 27 03:14:30 UTC 2006

On Sunday 26 March 2006 10:01 pm, jborn at charter.net wrote:
> Posted this on accident with no subject.  Reposting  a subject
>
> Finally!
>
> Jesse, that was the last piece of information I was missing. I followed your instructions and now have all the HD channels found. I still have some questions about this. So far I've been working outside of mythtv for all this setup. I want to remove it from the equasion completly and make sure the capture is working correctly. Well for standard def I been able to test without a problem. With HD I've been doing the following:

Good, glad to hear it. Too bad Charter makes things
difficult for us, but at least it works, eh?

> azap -c ./channels.good.conf -r FOX
>
> mplayer /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0
>
> It works a little and then dies with the following:

> **** Your system is too SLOW to play this! ****

Ah. This could be all kinds of things. Honestly, I
couldn't get HDTV working perfectly in mplayer or
xine. xine wouldn't play my audio. mplayer would,
but it was very choppy. Someone mentioned that mplayer
can't decode HDTV AC3 properly. Not sure if that's true.

Honestly, I'd go ahead and do the MythTV setup according
to the Wiki page. It might actually perform a bit better.
And now that you've seen picture and audio from the card,
you know it's at least capable of working properly.

If you still have problems after that, go hunting.
I had to turn on XvMC on my 2.93ghz Celeron D in order
to play back 1080i. Not sure if you have that option.

I still have choppy picture/audio on some channels,
but I honestly think it's a problem upstream.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin
jesse at wingnet.net