[mythtv-users] new user - fuzzy video, low audio - WinTV PVR350 no TV-OUT FC4

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Mar 26 22:47:21 UTC 2006

On Mar 26, 2006, at 2:52 PM, Steven C. Liu wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:
>
> I don't have a TV connected to that specific cable, but I have a
> fully-functional signal coming out of a common splitter that goes
> into a XP box with a WinTV PVR-150 card.

Well a cable or connector could be bad, or the splitter itself. The
only way to be absolutely sure is to connect a known good TV set to
the exact same connector.

> As far as HRC and IRC are concerned, I don't understand.  I'm not
> using a cable box - it is just a straight cable from the outside
> (it is not a signal issue since all is fine on my XP/PVR-150 box
> that shares a cable into a splitter).

HRC/IRC have nothing directly to do with a cable box. There are (in
the USA) three possible standards for frequency allocation - STD/HRC/
IRC. Without going into detail it just means that the carriers run on
slightly different frequencies. Often the AFC in a tuner can make up
for the variances but sometimes not.

But if you have a 150 similarly configured that is probably not your
problem. You should do the standard PVR thing of powering down for
several minutes to be sure your card is not storing some oddball
setup parameter though. You could swap the PVR cards between the
machines to see if the problem follows the card, PIA but definitive.

Is there a pattern to the channels that you do get with ivtvctl ?
Perhaps you are only getting the lower frequency channels, or the
higher ones ? This can get very confusing because the actual order of
channels is 2-6, 14-22, 7-13, 23-60 etc. If you are getting or not
getting only channels 5 and 6 you almost certainly have an HRC/IRC
problem. Only getting the lower or higher frequencies could point to
a connector or splitter problem.

Reset the 350, and if you still have trouble try to get more info
about exactly what you can and can't get, maybe we can figure out
from the pattern what's going on.