[mythtv-users] Am I able to stop auto-recording?

Martin Ereth martin.ereth at arcor.de
Sun Mar 26 20:39:17 UTC 2006

Steve Daniels schrieb:
> Developers only develop what they want Myth to do, and share it cause
> they're nice, and if they're feeling really nice they add features that that
> don't use.
>
> I've followed this thread, as all the other threads, to actually see if any
> of "you people" have come up with an actual reason for not having LiveTV
> deleted when needed instead of immediately and as yet, I have seen a single
> valid reason.
>
> Please provide the reason you want it deleted immediately, because all other
> people I've seen post threads like this have only wanted it to be deleted
> immediately for two reasons; 1 they had a thought that it's strange and bad
> and are now stubbornly stuck in this way of thinking, 2 they don't know how
> to, or haven't configured myth properly.
>
> Both are user issues.
>
> A few facts you may not be aware of.
>
> IIRC:
>
> Myth auto-expires short LiveTV straight away, i.e. the kind you get from
> channel hopping.
> Myth auto-expires LiveTV before any other recordings.
> Myth auto-expires LiveTV as the drive is filled up by external sources. I.e.
> you also rip DVD's to the drive, so you tell it to leave 9GB free. The disk
> is otherwise completely full apart from the 9GB free space you told Myth to
> leave. You then rip a 6GB DVD. You now have 3GB free space left, Myth
> realises this, and since you've told it to always leave 9GB free it will
> auto-expire 6GB of recordings ( starting with LiveTV ) so you are back at
> the 9GB free situation. All the time doing exactly as you have told it.

Hello Steve!

Okay, my way of talking was very rude. I am sorry for that.
You are the first who talks to me in a friendly way on this list.

I agree to the things said about LiveTV and auto-expire. I didn't say that they are bad.

I think, a switch should be provided, because when I zap to another channel, it takes
some time, where I think the buffer is filled, until the channel is showed.
I didn't see a switch to turn the buffer off.

But zapping should be faster.

Also my harddisk is filling up realtively fast. 500MB after an hour. After a movie
with 3 hours, no space is left. Maybe my myth is misconfigurated
What should people with diskless (livecd) computers do?
I do not really know the internals of myth. I am really in favour of a cache, maybe
with up to 50MB in size, or the video should be delivered directly without a delay.
Just think about live-broadcastings. You see the decisive goal 30 seconds later than
your neighbour. He is jumping around and you are asking yourself why.

Thats why I just like to see such a feature. I did not say that it must be used by
every user.

MythTV is a really good application, with or without this feature.

Martin