[mythtv-users] Buffalo Technology Ethernet Converter Users - Please Help

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 19:32:39 UTC 2006

On 3/26/06, Carl Fongheiser <carlfongheiser at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/25/06, Mercury Morris <mercury.morris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If you have a MythTV system connected to your Wireless Router
> > via a WLI-TX4-G54HP Wireless Ethernet Converter, then I'm asking
> > you for a little help.
> >
> > What did you set the IP Address of the Converter to?  And, what
> >

> > did you use for the IP Address of the MythTV system connected to
> > the Converter?
> >

> You can set the IP addresses to whatever you want, within reason.
>
> My Wireless Router has an IP Address of 192.168.1.1
> > , and the various
> > computers on the LAN have
> > 192.168.1.5, 192.168.1.8
> > , etc.  I have MythTV
> > systems at 192.168.1.11
> >  and 192.168.1.12.  The next MythTV system will
> > be connected via a Buffalo Tech Converter.  But my problem is: What IP Address
> >
> > can I use for it?
> >

> Pick a couple addresses from the 192.168.1 network that you're not already
> using.   Use one   for the Buffalo Technology Ethernet Converter, and use
> the other for the MythTV box.  They don't need to be contiguous;  I've got
> my Buffalo Tech box set to 192.168.1.50, but the boxes behind it are at
> 192.168.1.5, 192.168.1.11, and 192.168.1.18 .  The Buffalo Tech box
> doesn't really care what you're using for addresses as long as they're on
> the right network.
>
> Carl Fongheiser

Thanks Carl !  I just can't believe it's that easy.

If only the Buffalo Tech folks had included an example such as yours,
then I would have had no doubt about ordering one of their Converters.
After reading the Buffalo User Manual about four times, the best I could
figure out was that I would have to use MS Windows to set the IP address
of the Converter.

Now I feel confident that I can go ahead, order a Converter, and hook up
the next MythTV system behind it.  Thanks again for your help.

--
MM