[mythtv-users] Am I able to stop auto-recording?

Daniel A. Segel mythtv at archer-segel.com
Sun Mar 26 17:36:17 UTC 2006

Marco Nelissen wrote:

>In fact, I'd say that you'll get more users by *always* recording, even if
>nobody is watching. This is what Tivo does, and adds the advantage of being
>able to go to live TV and then immediately back up 30 minutes (the default
>size of Tivo's buffer) and play from there.

TiVo reserves a set amount of space for this function so it never
intrudes on your available space for recording shows.

The thing I don't get is why the developers (and those who don't mind
this change) try to argue people out of their preference to not have it
on. Clearly there are a lot of people who don't like the way this
"feature" was implemented. But then again, MythTV's development has
always been more driven by the developers wishes than the users. I
suppose that's their right, but it still sucks for the rest of us.

This whole argument is kind of like the request for TiVo to include a
remaining disk space indicator - instead of just providing one, the TiVo
developers argue vehemently about why the users shouldn't want or need
one. I never understood that stance either.

Daniel