[mythtv-users] new user - fuzzy video, low audio - WinTV PVR350 no TV-OUT FC4

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Mar 26 13:29:04 UTC 2006

On Mar 25, 2006, at 10:56 PM, Steven C. Liu wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've decided to play around and try to run MythTV on my P4 FC4
> box.  I'm using a WinTV PVR-350 card, and trying to display onto my
> generic 19" PC monitor (attached via an analog VGA video port).  I
> can get some data with a test capture if I set 'ivtvctl -p4', but
> not all channels.  The video is fuzzy, and the audio is low - this
> is reminiscent of the old days of using TV attenna to get signal,
> and not really having much of a reception.
>
> I can use ivtv-tune to change channels, and I can get some of the
> cable-only channels, so I know that I'm getting signal through my
> cable.  I also viewed the test capture on a XP box, and it also
> gives me the same lousy playback quality.  On that same XP box, I
> have a WinTV PVR-150.  Watching TV or recorded shows on that box is
> fine, and the 2 cables go through a common splitter.
>
> I don't know if this matters, but I tried using the "MythTV setup"
> gui, and I have no idea if I did everything correctly.  FWIW, I
> live in central New Jersey, and my cable service provider is
> Comcast.  Also, my mythtv-suite rpm version is 0.19-57.at from ATrpms.
>
> Please help.  I would hate to have to yank out that card and put it
> into my XP box.

I used to live in Jersey, my decision was to "yank out" Comcast. If I
saw one more promo welcoming me to the Comcast "family" I was going
to throw up.

But on a practical note:

Have you connected a TV directly to the feed you have going to your
Myth box to see if you actually have a usable signal there ?

Is your system perhaps using HRC channel assignments and you are
trying to tune IRC or standard ones ? A lot of the systems that
Comcast bought from Suburban Cable are HRC.

Just a couple of things to check.