[mythtv-users] OT: Booting Hard Drive-less Machine

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Sat Mar 25 16:13:01 UTC 2006

Chad wrote:
>> Just for the record my kernel is booting off of a $10 128MB USB drive.  The
>> NFS root runs off of 1.8GB of the storage in the backend over a simple
>> 10/100 switched network.

> :D
>
> I'm cheap, but I think I can conjure up 10 bucks..  I guess I should
> have thought about that a bit, I have just been looking at the 1GB and
> up sticks...
>
> Thanks!  That's probably the route I'm going to take, last night I
> tried PXE again, following instructions pretty thoroughly, and still
> got nothing (seems to be a DHCP problem, I'm apparently extremely
> dense with that stuff).

I've got mine booting from a RH9/FC installation.  I'll be putting my
instructions up on the Wiki this weekend.  I've gotten both PXE boot
(testing with VM Player) and then a GRUB boot from HD (which should work
in theory from any mass storage device) on my frontend for real.  I'm
just going through some kernel driver compiles and then I should have a
good set of instructions soon.

Kevin