[mythtv-users] Yet another NVidia 6200 1080i Component Output thread

Greg Oliver goliver at cistera.com
Sat Mar 25 01:12:42 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 18:16 -0600, Eric Vaandering wrote:
> I have no idea where that comment came from. I've cobbled together the file
> from a lot of sources. It should be ignored.
>
> With a 5200, you are using a VGA connection, right? I can't do that, I need to
> use component. This card (6200) has a component output supplied by the Mfr.
>
> Thanks, but I don't think I need a wider range of options. Those are the
> recommended settings for a TV.

I have the WS-65905, and the timings are definitely higher than those.
Those are for non-HD sets.  My Myth box is in the garage right now
because we are painting, but to successfully get the component out on
the 6200 I remember setting the refresh rates to something much higher,
but that caused flicker and I did not tinker with it.  I already had a
VGA->Component cable from my HD Satellite receiver, so I just used that
to connect to the TV and used the VGA out.  The flicker went away, but
the 1080i picture is "grainy" (may be too small of fonts?)  The 480p
picture was crystal clear.  I have not toyed with it since that day.
Myth menus looked perfect @ 1080i, so I am blaming the font size in X..

You can go to Fry's and get a $12 Sun monitor cable (VGA->BNC) and a
handful of BNC->RCA convertors if you want to try something quick and
cheap.  I bought one a while back for $12 I think.  I had to cut the H
and V sync pins from the vga side for the TV though, since the source
was not sending sync info.  I have never tried to set h and v sync in
xorg file though, so that may work as well.

-Greg