[mythtv-users] Fedora 4, no sound

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 23:34:35 UTC 2006

On 23/03/06, Kevin Metz <kbmetz at yahoo.com> wrote:
> So, I've been running Myth for awhile now. Right now its running on Fedora 4
> and updated with yum (not from source). Its been working fine for a number
> of months, and now, maybe a few weeks ago or so, the sound has stopped
> working. What changed? Well, yum updates to the box, and myth version .19
>
>  How do I know the sound works? It works under tvtime just fine. And, when I
> run up mythfrontend the tvtime jumps to the right channel and I can hear the
> sound change on the speakers. How-ever, on any remote computer, or on any
> mythtv recording. It has no sound.
>
>  So, I'm thinking something changed? But I don't know what. Everything else
> in the sound seems to work. And I've tried changing the source under alsa
> config. But all to no avail. Nothing seems to get mythtv to record sound
> along with the video.
>
>  So, its running Fedora 4, on a P4, and a sb live! card in it. Any
> suggestions or idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure when you load up alsamixer that your capture settings are as
before (typically line-in is set as recording source and muted). Jarod
noted the anomaly of bttv-related sound working in all programs apart
from MythTV on his Fedora HOWTO:

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#capture

If sound was working normally before the upgrade, it hopefully
shouldn't be a 'biggie' to fix.
Nick