[mythtv-users] Can myth TV do what I want?

Stephen Rowles stephen at rowles.org.uk
Thu Mar 23 18:07:21 UTC 2006

James Oltman wrote:

>     I was hoping someone on the mailing list would say: "Oh yes, I've
>     ripped
>     all my DVD's using Program X, and to make MythTV work as youd expect
>     just do Y" :D
>

> Do you ripp multiple VOB files or just one big one?  If it's one big
> one, then why have directories?  Myth can store the cover art for DVDs
> in a seperate directory from the movie.  You can have all your movies
> in one directory and scroll between them.  Myth uses IMDB to download
> cover art for DVDs, but you can maually add a different if you like.
> You can do this through the MYSQL DB and it's quite easy.
>
> Jim
I rip multiple VOB files because I take just the tracks I need off the
DVD to save hard disk space, I only want the movie and the english 5.1
sound track, the additional sound tracks, trailers, menus, behind the
scene extras etc. just stay on the disk.

Maybe I just have to bite the bullet and rip the whole thing, or find a
VOB combiner, If I have the wrong tools for the job then I'm happy to
change (fortunately I've not ripped many DVD's yet)