[mythtv-users] Can myth TV do what I want?

Stephen Rowles stephen at rowles.org.uk
Thu Mar 23 16:54:52 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I currently have a freevo proof of concept box installed, while I wait for
my new hardware to arrive :)

However I am having serious trouble getting it to do what I want, so I am
considering throwing away all my hard freevo work and starting again on
MythTV.

I want a system that can do the following:

Sit in the lounge - but importantly it will have no CD or DVD drive.
Map a network drive containing MP3's
Map a network drive containing ripped DVD (not actually ripped any yet)

Allow me to browse and playback MP3's and DVD's in a sensible way with
folder based browsing and "cover art".

I already have all my CD's mp3'd on linux in a simple directory structure
(artist/album/nn_track)

Currently I have started ripping DVD's on my windows box, resuting in a
selection of VOB files in a directory for each DVD (I'm only ripping the
main movie and english soundtrack)

Can MythTV do what I want here? Having a directory structure containing 1
sub directory per dvd, and then myth presenting them as a single DVD with
cover art?

Any advice / pointers to get a system like this working would be greatly
appreciated.

I don't want to use a DVD drive in the lounge and start ripping the DVD's
again if I can avoid it, so would much rather rip on my main windows PC
and store the result on my server, which already has enough disk space.

Cheers.