[mythtv-users] FC 5, mythtv 0.19: libmythavcode-0.19.so.0: cannot restore segment prot after reloc: permission denied

Warren warren-lists at icruise.com
Wed Mar 22 20:00:09 UTC 2006

Rob Reuss wrote:
> After installing 0.19 on Fedora Core 5 using yum:
>
> 	yum install mythtv-suite
>
> I get the following error when attempting to run mythtvsetup:
>
> mythtvsetup: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/
> libmythavcode-0.19.so.0: cannot restore segment prot after reloc:
> Permission denied
>
> Any suggestions?  Saw another similar posting from someone who trying
> to compile and the problem was diagnosed as related to trying to
> build with QT 4.  If this is my issue, please advise on how to setup
> to use with QT 3 -- hope I don't have to revert to Fedora Core 4 to
> do this!
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Rob

Maybe I don't get it here, but Fedora Core is an inherently unstable (in
the debian sense of the word) platform to begin with - it is essentially
the testing platform for RHEL release candidates early in the process.
To take an unstable platform and move to a major new release of it
within the first week to run something you actually care about having
work boggles my mind.

If it is "this must work or I go back to FC4" then you shouldn't be up
there to begin with.  If it is "it would be great if this worked, but if
not I am willing to take a few weeks and reconfigure and hack to help
those trying to make it work" then FC5 is the right choice for you.

I have a webcast to do next weekend.  I use a FC4-loaded Dell 700m to do
the live encoding.  When I heard that FC5 was coming out this week my
first thought was that I had to stay on FC4 until the webcast is done,
then I have a few months until the next one so I can move up to FC5
after the webcast and start testing everything and specend the time to
make the things that are broken work again.

If your choices are "get this to work now or move back" you probably
should be running it on Centos instead of Fedora Core anyway.  Don't
experiment on something you need to be stable.

Regards,
Warren