[mythtv-users] Soliciting Hardware Suggestions

Lawrwence mail.list.lawrence at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 03:34:28 UTC 2006

Greetings all.

I look to be getting a hand-me-down MB that I would like to use as the heart
of my MythTV backend.  It was doing duty as a server for a friend that is
upgrading and getting involved with a colocating setup.  The board can
support dual P3 / 1GHz / 133 ( slot 370 ) and up to 4GB memory ( I will be
starting with just 512 ).  I can either get a single 1GHz chip or two 800
MHz chips for about the same price. I'm leaning to the dual chip setup to
get early advantage of the dual processor configuration, but am always open
to opinions.

My main question is for video.  Being designed for server operations, board
has no AGP slots and the built in video is pretty weak ( ATI Rage / 4MB ).
It has two PCI-66 slots and I believe Nvidia offers some video cards that
would take advantage of that, but I have not done any significant research
in those yet.  Rather than start from zero I hope some people here have some
input.  I would like solid video performance  ( including 3D / GL support )
since I may use the machine for things other than just MythTV.

I will probably use the onboard  IDE drive controller for now ( also has
onboard Ultra SE SCSI and Ultra 160 LVD SCSI ) but may put a RAID SATA
controller in the second PCI-66.  There are also four PCI-33 slots which I
am considering for at least one PVR-500, a good sound board, and a GB
network card.

I will be running SuSE 10 on this device. Any suggestions on the video or
CPU choices or anything else I may not be considering yet is greatly
appreciated.

As always, advTHANKSance!!!
-Lawrence