[mythtv-users] Help with commercial flagging -- cutting out part of program

John Biundo johnbiundo at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 21 21:46:50 UTC 2006

John P Poet wrote:

 > Chris' commercial detection code is really amazing in how accurate it
 > is.  It is far more accurate than my old ReplayTV's commercial
 > detection.  That being said it is not perfect.

I hope it goes without saying that my question is not a complaint.  I
should have led off by mentioning how much I appreciate it, and how
addicted I am to commercial free TV.

 > If it bothers you, do what I do...

That said, of course it bothers viewers to have a segment of the show
chopped out.  Again, not a complaint since I'm grateful to have the
feature in the first place, and have some ideas about working around the
problem, but more a question of whether there are knobs or buttons to
tweak to deal with this.  I'm assuming I'm not the first to ask this,
but I had little luck finding anything to help with the adjustments.
I've searched the archives, trac, and the wiki for more clues, without
making much progress.

   After a show is recorded, take 30

 > seconds to edit the cutlist.  It is really easy, and ensures that all
 > the cuts are correct when you get around to watching the show.  For a
 > show like "Da Vinci's Inquest", the only "correction" I have to make
 > is for the last (short) segment, and that takes less than 10 seconds.

Fair enough, and that works for me personally.  But it's not something I
think I'll be able to get my wife or kids to do.  Again, I can live with
this (as can they -- it's pretty easy to recognize one of these misses,
and easy to manually correct it with jump/rewind, etc.), but I was
hoping there might be some "best practices" for how to minimize the
problem in the first place.

Thanks for the reply.

john