[mythtv-users] Myth on XBOX 360!

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 20:15:07 UTC 2006

kanetse at gmail.com wrote:
> On 3/20/06, Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm personally holding out of PS3 instead.  Whether it will be able to
>> be a full fledged mythfrontend or not is not my issue, rather it's who
>> gets my money.  Nonetheless, it seems Sony was more willing to 'play'
>> with linux in the past, I would think they might also do so in the
>> future.  The more people you entice to buy your system, the more money
>> you make.  Too bad Micro$oft can't see that; though I'm sure they
>> won't be losing sleep over it with their pillows stuffed with $1,000
>> dollar bills.

In no way wanting to start a flame war, but... Yikes, I don't understand
why people seem to think Sony is a "less evil" company than Microsoft.
They've been feverishly at their efforts for world domination for at
least as long as microsoft has.  At least, luckily with Sony, many of
their efforts to lock people into BS proprietary format hell have mainly
been flops.  Here's hoping the same for blueray.  We have not been so
lucky with MS though, as they have managed to lock most of the world
into windows and a world of MS proprietaries - hopefully HDDVD and HDCP
won't be as successful.

> Sony might have been more willing to play with Linux in past, but from
> this mailing-list I see more XBoxes running MythTV than PS2s.

The PS3 will have linux preinstalled on a 60GB hard drive, confirmed by
Sony.  Will that make it easy to run mythfrontend on the machine?
Maybe, maybe not.  It's just a way to take a stab at MS, though, as MS
is supporting HDDVD.  They could care less about being sympathetic to
the open source world or making something that it's easy to get myth
onto.  For all we know it may be easier to get it onto the 360.  Bottom
line, Sony wants to sell blueray players so they can make a killing on
their next gen movie format, end of story.  Linux is just a means to an
end, to get geeks like us to buy it.  I have yet to see if it will work
on me but it's not ruld out.
> I don't think it's the company's Linux policy that matters as much as
> the hardware.  The Linux community is pretty good at putting Linux on
> almost any machine these days; regardless of the support that Sony or
> Microsoft have given/withheld from them.

Yup.  I'm biding my time until the PS3 is released.  At that time I'll
make a choice as to which is better, determined by which system has been
hacked to run mythfrontend and how elegant the solutions are, then price
comparison may come into it vs features.  oh, and maybe games will play
a role... lol.
Raphael