[mythtv-users] What Is a very Friendly Linux DVD Burner?

Lawrwence mail.list.lawrence at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 17:09:23 UTC 2006

> On Mar 18, 2006, at 4:33 PM, Brian Sutcliff wrote:
>
> > Can anyone suggest an easy to install DVD burner for Fedor Core 4?
> >
> > What is the best burning software.
> >
> > Thanks,

I got a great deal ( multiple rebates / discounts )  on a Hitachi DVD burner
with LightScribe functionality at BestBuy a  month or so ago. With one left
over holiday gift card I ended up spending about $13.  I have had no issues
with it working for burning or reading under SuSE 9.3 and SuSE 10.  As other
said, most modern hardware "just works" now days.

For software I too am using K3B for basic writting and QDVDAuthor for
creating a more "real" DVD product.  When I was running 9.3 I used the "hard
way" to get QDVDAuthor up and running ( tracking down and installing
multiple pre-reqs and then building some things from source ).  When I went
to 10 I spent a little more time looking around and found that Packman has
RPMs for QDVDAuthor on SuSE that did all the right things under YaST.  I
would guess FC has just as good of support. Some of the HOWTOs for
QDVDAuthor take you thru the whole process and it's pretty impressive what
can be done with only basic effort.  But it is Beta, so save early and save
often.

The only thing I'm wanting for now is a way of accessing the LightScribe
functionality.  The Windoze software include with the drive requires some
specific level of Win98 or one of the newer ( W2K, XP ) versions and I'm not
having luck yet getting it installed under Wine.  Google hasn't turned up
much help but I'm hoping someone with the right skills is working on that
issue as we speak.

-L