[mythtv-users] Mythweb AuthType Basic works for me, Digest doesn't

Jacob Steenhagen jacob at steenhagen.us
Mon Mar 20 15:34:19 UTC 2006

On Mon, March 20, 2006 3:55 am, Phill Edwards wrote:
> Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I can continue with Basic
> authentication but one of the recent posts said this isn't as secure,
> and the default in the .htaccess file that comes with MythWeb is
> Digest so I figure I need to get with the program.

If you use it over SSL (eg, an https:// type link), basic authentication
is plenty secure. You don't have to shell out money for a certificate as
long as you don't mind the "are you sure you trust this site" type
messages from your browser. You can either self-sign or get a cert from
http://www.cacert.org. CAcert is included as a trusted CA in some browers,
but in most (including IE and Firefox) you'll either have to tell the
browser to trust them or put up with the "are you sure" warnings.

--
http://www.steenhagen.us/~jake/blog/