[mythtv-users] HDTV Blues - Any ideas?

Chris Lynch lynchseattle at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 17:02:58 UTC 2006

All,

I had Myth running just fine but the HD upgrade has pretty much done me in
(well, my wife more specifically).  Everything seems to be working fine with
the exception of two problems, which are unfortunately big enough to put my
HTPC efforts at risk at this stage :S  I'm running firewire from my Motorola
DCT-6200 to my NForce3 Asus K8N-e Deluxe as the only source right now to try
and get this working on a Sempron 3000+ with 1GB of RAM.  This is on .19 and
I've tried all combinations of interlacing, XvMC on and off, etc.

Here are the two problems:

1 - Watching LiveTV or recording a channel will not always work.  It will go
to a black screen and then come back to the main menu.  With LiveTV trying
over and over will eventually work.  When it's recording a show you have no
way of knowing if it's actually recording.  This one has put me in the hurt
locker with my wife on Myth :)

2 - Pixellation every 10 seconds or so.  It lasts for about 1 - 2 seconds
and it is part of the recording stream so it's not a playback issue as best
as I can tell.  I have verified that running my DCT-6200 direct to the TV
does NOT exhibit the pixellation, so I don't think it's related to weak
signal (I've even plugged in an amplifier to boost the signal strength).

A few things I've tried:
- Tried running firewire in through my motherboard directly and through a
SoundBlaster Audigy2 card.  Same results.
- Tried overclocking, XvMC, different video cards for output (a 5200 and a
6600).  No improvements, but I've spent plenty of money on it to experiment
:(

I get errors like this on the frontend and backend at the moments of
pixellation:
[mpeg2video @ 0x5d4a134]skiped MB in I frame at 82 67
[mpeg2video @ 0x5d4a134]invalid mb type in B Frame at 59 60
[mpeg2video @ 0x5d4a134]00 motion_type at 81 10
[mpeg2video @ 0x5d4a134]00 motion_type at 80 12
[mpeg2video @ 0x5d4a134]ac-tex damaged at 0 13

I'm wondering if it might be the DCT-6200?  Is that possible?

Thanks for any help,

Chris