[mythtv-users] Miro DC10

Martijn Morriën dj.escay at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 15:37:39 UTC 2006

Sort of short description:
Motion JPEG is a video codec where each video field is separately compressed
into a JPEG image.

As long as this is done by the hardware there is no performance issue, the
issues you may have are e.g.:
- the size is larger than MPEG
- direct burning to dvd is not possible (needs to be re-encoded to MPEG)

MPEG-2 (1994) is the designation for a group of coding standards for digital
audio and video, agreed upon by MPEG (Moving Pictures Experts Group). An
MPEG-2 video bitstream is made up of a series of data frames encoding
pictures

For more info read e.g.:

 http://www.answers.com/topic/mjpeg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpeg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-2

For MythTv I have no idea how good such an MJPEG card is supported, probably
it will be used to encode to the nuv format if the device is supported by
video4linux.

Martijn