[mythtv-users] Split setup requirements.

Jonas Lihnell roze at roze.mine.nu
Sun Mar 19 13:57:32 UTC 2006

Hi fellow myth users.

I have been using myth in a standalone setup for many months now and
the time has come to build my first frontend-backend setup, and I will
want to keep the cost down by using old hardware.

I have read the requirements for a full and standalone setup, now I
want to dig deeper and get the hang of what kind of sizes and numbers I
need for the frontend and backend separately.

In particular, I want to measure it on a few points:
1. CPU Speed (Mhz)
2. RAM Size (Mb)
3. RAM Speed (sdr/ddr)
4. HD Size (Mb)
5. HD Thoroughput (Mb/s)
6. Network Thoroughput (Mb/s)

I am going to need numbers for these on both the backend and the frontend.

By using a thin client at home for a mythtv setup I've noticed the
relation between the recording profiles bitrate and the harddrives
thoroughput. To be more precise, in my setup my 100mb/s network is
barely fast enough to keep up with puting the stream to disk (x mb/s)
and then reading it (x mb/s) resulting in (2x mb/s).

If someone know how data is taken, processed and then managed
throughout a client-server model of mythtv I'd be happy to hear from
you.

As of now I'm thinking of seting up a diskless frontend using a Via
Epia M series of board (the first one with DDR memory, probably) and
putting all data including the OS on the backend, serving it through
NFS.

Is that a good idea? is it doomed? ;)

//Roze