[mythtv-users] Tivo question about controlling cable box

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 15:43:35 UTC 2006

On 3/18/06, Chris Weisiger <cweisiger at i-55.com> wrote:
> I just bought a serial M/F serial cable to hook from my computer to my
> cable box to check
> to see if my serial port was working on my cable box..and it said that
>
> operation is only valid when port is open
>
> im running a DCT2000 Remote Control ver 1.0 to test the serial port on
> my cable box, and of course the error above is what I get. I am thinking
> that the serial port is not activated on my cable box.
>
> Anyway, does Tivo use a serial connection to a cable box to control it
> for channel changing...
> I dont have Tivo so that is why i am asking, because if it does then I
> have some information when
> calling my cable company and telling them Im using Tivo so they can
> hopefully activate the serial port.
>

> Thanks for the info.

Tivo has serial and IR blaster support. For this reason some cable
company's that don't turn on the serial port by default, won't when
you call, they'll just tell you to use the irblaster.

It's worth calling though, but don't expect them to turn it on just
because you tell them you have a Tivo.

--
Steve