[mythtv-users] Loss of Service Recognition -- Nifty!

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Mar 18 12:49:15 UTC 2006

On Mar 18, 2006, at 5:14 AM, Sasha Z wrote:

> On 3/17/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 17, 2006, at 3:12 PM, Sasha Z wrote:
>>

>> I ran into something like that playing with QAM signals. The buffer
>> took forever to fill. Turned out to be digital music channels with a
>> picture that changed only when the song did.
>>
>> Even a MD system still would not tell you if you had the "wrong" show
>> due to lineup changes etc. I don't think there's a substitute for a
>> sentient being checking the recording, or at least a Linux user.
>
> Of course there are ways that the autodetect would fail. I'm not
> trying to propose an infallible system. That can't happen. The motion
> detection algorithm would, however, be useful in detecting those cases
> where weather notifications or service interruptions prevented a
> proper recording.

I understand that, it would catch some but not all problems, the goal
being to re-record something that was obviously missed. Nice feature,
but not a too-high priority.

You might also integrate some way for Myth to know if the system was
running on UPS battery power, the assumption being that recordings
during that period might be suspect due to cable box/sat rcvr being
down or having switched channels due to a power glitch etc.

Everyone *does* have a UPS on their Myth systems, right ?? :-))

I still remember the time we had a power failure at the transmitter
and a manager in all seriousness instructed the Master Control
operator to put up a graphic saying "We are Off The Air".

Last I heard that manager was a vice-president.