[mythtv-users] SOLVED: mythtv-database deb package failes to create db

Ben Holt beanjammin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 00:29:12 UTC 2006

On 16/03/06, Ben Holt <beanjammin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to install the mythtv-database AMD64 Debian Sid package
> from ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ but am receiving the
> following error when it attempts to create the database:
>
> Setting up mythtv-database (0.19-0.4) ...
> Failed to connect to database: Access denied for user
> 'root'@'host.name' (using password: YES) at -e line 5, <> line 1.
> Failed to create database (incorrect admin username/password?)

Thanks to both Paul and Casey for providing suggestions and getting my
brain working.

The mythtv-database package seems to require:

1) a root password be set for mysql _and_
2) that the root password be set using the old mysql password format.

The hint that a password is required is the "(using password: YES)"
text in the error message above even though I hadn't entered a root
password (as I hadn't set one for mysql).

Recent mysql builds default to using a new password format, but can
still use the old format if required by using the following command:

mysqladmin -u root old-password <new password string>

Once I had a root mysql password set in the old format everything "just worked".

- Ben