[mythtv-users] Loss of Service Recognition -- Nifty!

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Mar 17 22:21:35 UTC 2006

On Mar 17, 2006, at 3:12 PM, Sasha Z wrote:

> In that case, a motion detection algorithm could work. The commflag
> could go through and go, "hmm, the image has changed less than 0.05%
> for an hour. that sounds like a really boring tv show. Maybe the
> signal dropped out."

I ran into something like that playing with QAM signals. The buffer
took forever to fill. Turned out to be digital music channels with a
picture that changed only when the song did.

Even a MD system still would not tell you if you had the "wrong" show
due to lineup changes etc. I don't think there's a substitute for a
sentient being checking the recording, or at least a Linux user.

The industry runs into this all the time. Some person has to sign the
"affidavit of service" certifying that a given commercial actually
did play. There have been all sorts of attempts to automate this
process, but I'd never sign a legal document saying it ran unless I
or somebody I trusted had actually seen it.