[mythtv-users] IR Blaster on USB to Serial Converter

Carl Fongheiser carlfongheiser at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 21:47:13 UTC 2006

On 3/17/06, Jonathan Tidmore <jtidmore at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to get my IR Blaster working.  I have only 1 serial port and
> that has the IR Receiver on it and that works fine.  So I bought a USB to
> Serial converter for the IR Blaster.  I can't seem to get lirc when
> compiling to use the /dev/ttyUSB0 device the USB to Serial converter creates
> when I plug it in.  I've been following the instructions on
> http://www.iwamble.net/IRBlaster_Howto.txt but they assume you have to
> available serial ports.  Anyone know how I can compile my second instance of
> lirc to use /dev/ttyUSB0?

I think you'll find that it won't work.  The typical IR blaster (and IR
receiver) depend on controlling the low-level behavior of the serial port,
and USB serial adapters don't work that way.  A better bet would be to
attach a serial IR Transmitter/Receiver to your single serial port.  There's
a circuit on http://www.lirc.org.

Carl Fongheiser