[mythtv-users] Which TFT to get?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Mar 17 20:55:37 UTC 2006

On Mar 17, 2006, at 1:39 PM, White Joe wrote:

>> I'm using it as my Living Room TV set. It's being fed by my MythTV
>> system's 6200 card via the VGA input. I'm running the computer's
>> output at 1024x768. The myth system has analog cable and SD
>> (composite) satellite going into it.
>>
>>   For HD I have an antenna connected to the ATSC RF input for the
>> (one) digital OTA station in the area, and I have the HDMI output of
>> my DishNetwork receiver connected to the HDMI input for
>> satellite HD.
>> I do not do any HD with the Myth system (yet).
>>
>> It's not perfect, but as far as color quality, blacks etc. it is
>> quite watchable. I worked in the broadcast business for 30
>> years so I
>> am probably more picky than most about image quality, but I also
>> realize that I can't afford an Ikegami HD monitor. The thing that
>> bugs me most about LCD sets is "smearing" from slow response times,
>> and there is almost none of that visible.
>>
>> I think the actual panel on this Chinese-built set was made by LG
>> (Korean).
>>

> Thanks, that's pretty much what I am looking to do.  If you are "in
> the
> business" picky, then it is probably something that I can live with.
> "Smearing" (thanks for the word) bugs me too.  I first noticed it
> during
> the battle scene in "The Phantom Menace" and have hated it every since
> -- no matter the medium.

I'm not too sure of the quality of the received ATSC. Basketball at
1080i looks horrible with motion artifacts all over the place, but
with only 1 OTA HD channel it's hard for me to know if it's the
station or the receiver.

HD from the satellite looks as good as I've seen anywhere else, so
the problem may be the tuner/demod/decoder, or it might be cheap gear
at the local station, it is the number 200-something market after
all :-)

The reviews I've read on the set have all been positive, except for
the remote.