[mythtv-users] HTPC cases

Simon Kenyon simon at koala.ie
Fri Mar 17 14:33:09 UTC 2006

On Thursday 16 March 2006 14:26, Nick wrote:
> On 16/03/06, Simon Kenyon <simon at koala.ie> wrote:

> > i have an aopen i915GMM-HFS pentium-m motherboard in it and the whole
> > machine is really quiet.
> > i also don't have the case fans running. with my motherboard they are not
> > needed.

> What is the status of linux driver support for the onboard SATA-II
> (non-RAID) and also DVI and component video for the board using the
> onboard video?

i'm using the SATA support (2.6.15)
i have a maxtor connected to it
seems to work fine

i'm using the DVI out to a plasma screen
not tried the component out

> I've had my eye on this board for a while and it seems to tick nearly
> all the right boxes (SPDIF input, component video and DVI, dual LAN)
> As the board uses an ALC880 audio chip is support fully there (using
> hda-intel driver gives working SPDIF)?  The only real negative I have
> is that I would want 3 PCI slots (2 DVB, 1 PVR-x50) which I can't do
> with this board.

that is the a drawback

to be honest, it makes a wonderful frontend and if two slots is enough, a
might fine backend. it is so quiet. most of the time the cpu fan is not even
spinning.
i over clocked my cpu from 1.86 to 2.1 and it was rock solid
however, the dvi out would not work
maybe i could have fixed that - but i just went back to 1.86
it is more than fast enough for what i want to do

i did a build of myth and all the plugins
i have a shell script to do it
i use ccache
on the 915 it took 8 minutes
on my laptop (a 2G pentium-m) it took 12
my backend (a 1G athlon) took 29

> I also see from the manual that it supports both 478 and 479pin
> Pentium-M CPUs - which are you using?

to be honest, i wasn't aware there was a 478pin chip
i just bought a "pentium-m" and stuck it in the board
this is /proc/cpuinfo if that tells you anything

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 13
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.86GHz
stepping        : 8
cpu MHz         : 1863.060
cache size      : 2048 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx est tm2
bogomips        : 3729.43

> Thanks for any information you can pass on,
> Nick

simon