[mythtv-users] Use internal viewer for mpg files from mythvideo?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Mar 17 13:24:29 UTC 2006

On 03/17/2006 07:55 AM, Warren wrote:

> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>>Would the shows then have to be moved into the path (/mnt/store) of
>>>mythtv?
>>>
>>Assuming /mnt/store is your MythTV recordings directory (RecordFilePrefix).
>>
>>Yes for recordings with commflagging, no for MythVideo videos with
>>Internal player and without commflagging.  Videos must be withing the
>>MythVideo directory structure to be recognized by the scanner.
>>
>>Note, a link in the recordings/video directory to a file in a different
>>location will work for both recordings and videos...
>>

> Is the directory limitation a matter of the where the scanner runs in
> the first place to do the flagging, or is it somethign that is needed
> for playback?

Needed for playback.  Myth currently makes some assumptions about the
location of recordings.  There are many good reasons for this--including
safety.  In the future (probably 0.20), you should be able to specify a
list of directories you want to use to record/store recordings.

>   The reason I am asking is that I have hundreds of recordings across
> 6 hard drives made by my ReplayTV boxes, which I am in the process of
> replacing.  The ReplayTV recordings have EVT files, which are lists of
> commercial start and stop points.  If the scanning is something done
> once then I could write something to import these files - I have to
> imagine this would be faster than commercial scanning a half terrabyte
> of MPEG recordings.
>
> I have figured out the problems with getting these to play properly in
> MythVideo (telling MV to ignore the ndx and evt files and using the
> Internal player), so I was wondering if I could import the commercial
> start and stop points and have the Internal player recognize them even
> outside of /mnt/video.  If not I suppose ln -s will work, it will just
> make for a very busy directory.  If I do have to go the ln-s route, do
> subdirectories work or will I have link every file?

TTBOMK, there is no way to get MythVideo to skip commercials--even with
the Internal player.

Therefore, you'll need to use "ln -s", but no subdirectories.  I posted
a patch to the -dev list quite a while ago that allows the use of
subdirectories for storage (not recording), but I don't know if it will
still apply--I don't use it anymore--and I don't recommend its use.
There are some limitations--primarily dealing with multiple
filesystems--that could have "undesired" effects (including destructive
effects).  I have since decided that allowing multiple directories
requires Myth to have additional filesystem information.

The discussion of the "Storage Groups" idea (multiple recording
directories) is at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/180048#180048 .

Mike