[mythtv-users] Plextor M402U. Supported or not?

Dale E. Martin dale at the-martins.org
Fri Mar 17 12:00:10 UTC 2006

> Oh, well. I just ordered 2 Plextors. I plan on attaching several to a
> couple of backends that lack the room for enough PVR-500s and a serial
> card. 2 M402U refurbs is cheaper than 1 PVR-500 with the requirement for
> additional PCI slots.

I wouldn't sweat it too much.  At about 3Mbit I'd say the video quality
looks darn good, but the files start to get too big for my own preferences
at that point.  I'm running with a default profile that's producing files
at about 500M/hour right now.  (I don't recall the bitrate right off hand.)
The video quality is good enough for me (and my wife has not complained)
and I like that I'm not killing tons of disk space.  I also have a high
quality profile that cranks the bit rate way up and I think the video out
of it looks great...  (And a low quality that produces even smaller files.)

In all cases the colors are WAY better than the cheap bt878 card I was
using before, and the CPU load is next to nothing now...

Once there is transcode (and therefore MythBurn) support I'd say the
ConvertX is part of an ideal setup...

Take care,
  Dale
Dale E. Martin - dale at the-martins.org