[mythtv-users] card#0 - Permission Denied! (was: Help with mythtv user account setup)

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 02:23:45 UTC 2006

On 16/03/06, Shanon Mulley <shanonmulleyster at gmail.com> wrote:
> This shouldnt be an issue (that of only root user having access to
> your tv tuner). I to have this problem with one of my dvb tuners (due
> to the way I modprobed it). But, it works fine in mythtv.

The issue is/was that Sean was running mythtvsetup as user 'mythtv'
not as root, so if user 'mythtv' has no permission rights to access
the hardware, it cannot be setup. This is most easily fixed on a
udev-ssytem by creating a custom rule to ensure that the device is
also created with the desired permissions.

> I think this is because, although you run mythfrontend as a normal
> user, mythbackend runs as root, and its that that is actually
> accessing the TV tuner card(s). Mythfrontend just connects to the
> mythbackend.

This is correct. However, many users do not run the backend process as
root, so it requires the hardware to be accessible from the user
account they run mythbackend from.

Nick